Easy Canned Mackerel Recipe

Canned Mackerel …Ever wonder what to do with those inexpensive cans of jack mackerel you find on the grocery aisle shoved in between the tuna and salmon? It can be used to create a delicious fish stew! It’s easy-peezey-lemon squeezey and a tasty bang for your buck. Print the complete recipe at http://www.myfoodchannel.com/fish-stew-recipe/
Give this stew a try and let me know what you think, and for more recipes check out the Chef Buck playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2EFBD7E8FE2BB552 and to print all recipes visit my website at http://www.myfoodchannel.com/

Thanks for watching, and connect with this media to catch all of my videos.

Name of the track: Whiskey on the Mississippi
Artist of the track: Kevin MacLeod
Direct URL of the track: http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/index.html?keywords=whiskey+on+the+mississippi&Search=Search

Fish Stew
(serves 4-6)

2 cans Mackerel
2 medium Onions (chopped)
1 to 2 cups Celery (chopped)
32 oz. Stock (chicken or veg—or use 1/2 stock 1/2 water
1 can Tomato Paste (I use only 2/3 can)
1-2 Tbsp Lemon juice
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Parsely (chopped)
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
Salt/Pepper (to taste)
Red Pepper (cajun seasoning–optional–to taste)
Dried Jalapenos (optional –to taste)

Drain mackerel, break fish apart, and set aside in a bowl(I remove some of the less attractive bits of skin and bone, but I’m not militant about it). Heat olive oil in a pot and saute onions and celery for 2-3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stock. A full can of tomato paste can be used, but I usually just use 2/3 of the can (it all depends on how tomato-ee you like it). Use two cans of stock (32 0z) or just use 1 can stock and 1 can water. Bring pot to a boil and cook for 2 minutes, stirring as needed. Add fish and return pot to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. While simmering, add lemon juice and seasonings. Stir occasionally and add water if needed.
Serve over rice or with crackers or bread.

1. Peter Piper says:

Great dish! Cheap, cheap, cheap. Good for you. Mmmmmm…..

2. Chef Buck says:

that's a great tip–and very true–I'm always shaking my spices over a steaming dish, and my spices do get a little clumpy; I go through most of them pretty quickly, but some I don't.

3. Just tried two cases of Crown Prince Jack, just delivered 2 min ago. Thanks for vid.. Am on Dr Adamo Blood type diet. This is a beneficial food for B blood types.

4. Was gonna cook carrot, potato, red bell P, in 1 inch squares with some Mackerel chunks in Butter. Like St Dalfore does big bistro canned out of this world entree.

5. jasan509 says:

I just bought some mackerel for the omega-3 benefits. I gotta try this over some brown rice…Thanks.

6. Chef Buck says:

hope you like it–this is one of those dishes that I don't change up much anymore when I cook it–it's just simple and good and my favorite way to use canned mackerel.

7. That was funny. I'll try the recipe maybe the next time hard rain come past Jamaica and I can't get to the store..

8. Chef Buck says:

I hope you like it–with winter coming, I'll be making a lot of dishes like this soon. Nutrition-wise and taste-wise, it's a pretty good bang for your buck.

9. Chef Buck says:

Cool weather means more stews and soups on the stove.  This Mackerel Stew is one of my favorites, 'cause it tastes great and it's cheap…I'm a naturally cheap guy.
    Easy Canned Mackerel Recipe

10. David Martin says:

If you don't mind me asking– how much money does buying the Canned Mackerel cost– in comparison to the Wild Mackerel? I'm a naturally cheap guy too lols

11. Looks yummy and great way to add fish to your diet 🙂 have you tried other canned fish
    like salmon?

12. rokmontez says:

I was a tad skeptical at first – I tried tinned mackerel in a fish casserole once and it did not turn out well: mackerel is too oily a fish for that.  This recipe, however, is a great one for tinned mackerel – the result is very good.  And it's an easy recipe that you can adjust based one whatever seasonings you have on hand.  Two thumbs up!

13. I love it !
    Reminds me of how my dad use to make it for me when I was younger

14. Arya A says:

You are absolutely hilarious

15. Chalet N says:

The skin and bones is where all the nutrition is. Eat all of it.

16. ahmed kroner says:

Hey I thought No one knew about this recipe, I've been eating this for the past 2 months. i'm on a tight budget here in Norway. Thank god it's not only me that's broke.

17. capi1lope says:

Thanks chef! I recovered 30 cans of this from a dumpster the other day and was wondering what to do beside giving it to the cats.

18. sunshinetsb1 says:

This is what I heard McDonald's uses for their fish fillet sandwiches.

19. Awesome , Well Done.
    Great video ,enjoyed watching??

21. Norman Lamb says:

This is one of my favorite meals!

22. luvlilox24 says:

thank u chef i cooked this tonight and my family and i loved it.

23. Mike Dempsey says:

FISH SOUP,,,WHAT A great IDEA ! I found my recipe

24. Fun for kids says:

Wow, it looks delicious
    I have a can like this and I did not know what to do with it, so I will give it a try
    Thanks !!

25. viewer says:

looks good. i might even add some rice to it. not too much though.

26. I don't eat mackerel but it looks good