Low Carb SHRIMP and GRITS – EASY Weeknight Keto Recipe!

Luscious, velvety, low carb “grits” get topped with garlicky shrimp and bacon for a true taste of the coastal South. I love grits, and I miss them a lot. Like, a lot a lot. But this dish helps to curb those cravings. It’s so easy, yet perfect for weeknight meals at home and fancy enough for company. A definite family favorite!

—————

LOW CARB SHRIMP AND GRITS

Makes 3 servings.

1 lb. fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 lb. frozen cauliflower florets
4 oz. diced pancetta or bacon
1 diced shallot, or 2 Tbsp. diced onion
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 c. chopped scallions
4 oz. shredded smoked gouda cheese
3 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
3 Tbsp. butter
squeeze of lemon
salt & pepper, to taste

MICROWAVE the frozen cauliflower for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mash with potato masher until the consistency of grits. Add one tablespoon of butter, the heavy whipping cream and the smoked gouda cheese. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm.

SAUTE the pancetta or bacon on medium low heat until crispy. Remove and set aside. In the remaining bacon fat, add 2 tablespoons of butter and cook the shallots/onions until lightly browned. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

ADD the shrimp. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the shrimp are just cooked and still tender. Remove from the heat and mix in the reserved bacon/pancetta and scallions. Mix well.

SERVE the “grits” in a shallow bowl and top generously with the shrimp and sauce.

Nutritional Info (per serving)
Calories: 484
Fat: 28.4g
Protein: 32.6g
Total Carbs: 11.6g
Fiber: 3.5g
Net Carbs: 8.1g

—————

PRODUCT LINKS

Gourmia Induction Cooktop: http://amzn.to/2vN2Bme (Affiliate Link)

Lodge 12” Cast Iron Skillet: http://amzn.to/2h6bbsR (Affiliate Link)

(We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.)

—————

SOCIAL MEDIA:

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/highfalutinlowcarb
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hf_lowcarb
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/highfalutinlowcarb
Web: http://www.highfalutinlowcarb.com
Email Inquiries: wes (at) highfalutinlowcarb (dot) com

—————

Carefree by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Source: http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/index.html?isrc=USUAN1400037
Artist: http://incompetech.com/

1. BBDeer87 says:

Highfalutin' Low Carb, I'm not sure if you are familiar with her blog, but fluffychixcook has a low carb cornbread recipe and they use a corn flavoring from a company called Amoretti in it. It's pricey, but supposedly the secret ingredient for all the "corniness" we miss in cornbread. You may want to try it in the grits- ya never know. Check it out. Love you and your channel. Keep up the good work. ??

2. I only became familiar with the joy of grits in the last 10 years of my life, being a non-Southerner, and I can't really see cauliflower taking the place of corn flavor, as you say. :/ Bummer. The shrimp, though, I definitely will try that! <3 Thank you!!

3. I'm in the South, too. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

4. Smith A says:

I have been looking for a low carb sub for grits. This is great!

5. The folks that don't like grits are usually the same ones that don't like boiled peanuts either….they are not normal!
    Forgot to add that smoked gouda is "Gouda for You"! lol

6. Another great video, thanks!

7. Reagan Cat says:

Are you from the South Carolina ?!

8. Jaciemack says:

Ooh someone had a whoosh! Looking good…

9. Watching.. knowing I probably won't make this as shown…LOL. I want to love cooked cauliflower. Can't do it, even after 3+ years keto. And I never liked grits (yes, i know.. I'm an aberration to ya'll Southerners). It's all that "mushyness"..ewwww But I do love your show, and can't skip an episode!

10. a soto says:

love your ideas & honesty.

11. Vic Godard says:

Hi there highfalutin' I just found your channel and loved your style. I have a challenge for ya. As a Mexican on a keto diet, I cry myself to sleep every night because I miss my corn and flour tortillas. I have high hopes on keto foods to help me reverse my diabetes. But I need some way to adapt it to my Mexican food. Have you got any plans on a flat bread/tortilla face off? Please?

12. Just found Ur channel, so I'm a new subbie now! Luv'n this dish; it looks absolutely duh-li-cious!!! Tfs, Bye4Now…

13. Christian says:

You're lookin slim, sir.

14. Hi friend! Your videos just keep getting better and better! I LOVED the way you brought us along to the local fish market! I hope in future videos, you'll show us around more of your neighborhood. And this dish…can I just say a-maz-ing! Your family is so blessed to be able to enjoy your masterpieces! Being from the North, I've never had grits before–I didn't realize they were corn based? Like corn meal maybe? But one of your subscribers had the same thought I had…why not add something to mimic the taste of corn? How genius to think of adding corn extract! Boiled peanuts, grits…I can't wait for the next Southern tradition! Keep these fantastic videos coming, please! <3

15. Shrimp and grits not for me. But plain old cheese grits with some bacon would be. Do you think I'd be satisfied using the cauliflower for that or does it need a lot of seasoning to pass ? Thanks for another great video!

16. fluffynomo says:

Looks GREAT! Shrimp has never been my thing but grits?? OH YEAH!! This really sounds delicious!

17. My wife and I are 5 weeks into keto and you are our favorite YouTube Keto-er! This recipe looks AMAZING and we're definitely going to try it! Keep up the great work!!

18. Erin Doyle says:

Awesome as usual! Can't wait to make those grit! Miss them like the Dickens!!

19. sexidance says:

I could watch you and hear you talk for days on end. you are perfect.

20. Looks so good! Definitely want to try it out! Thanks for the video. ?

21. Easy yoga says:

Love it!!!!! Something new!!

22. Aliya Tudor says:

Mmmm grits ?? I'm making this Sunday ??