Cooking with Ken: Recipes for Stale Bread

Stale Bread Recipes for Camping and Backpacking: Tasty, Simple and Healthy

Note: I use olive oil instead of butter when cooking outdoors. It tastes good, is healthy, easy to carry without refrigeration and has many alternative uses (e.g. fire starter and candle, etc.)

– 1 bread slice or 1/2 English muffin
– olive oil
– 1 or 2 room temperature eggs
– shredded cheese
– salt and pepper
Toast bread and add olive oil. Separate egg yoke and white; whip white and put on toast. Make divot in white for yoke. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake in 325 F oven until golden brown. Salt and pepper to taste.

– 1 to 3 bread slices
– 1 or 2 eggs
– 1 cup milk (cow’s milk or alternative such as almond milk)
– olive oil
– salt and pepper
Toast 1 to 3 bread slices; break into small pieces and drizzle with a few drops of olive oil. Put toast in small pot that has been coated with olive oil. Add 1 cup milk and and 1or 2 eggs. Heat until simmering and stir, covering the egg with milk.

– 1 to 3 bread slices
– olive oil
– toppings of your choice, such as olives,
green onions, tomatoes, mushrooms,
spinach, cheese, etc.
– Balsamic vinegar (optional)
– salt and pepper (optional)
Toast 1 to 3 bread slices and put into bottom of oiled pan. Add toppings of choice, cover with lid and heat over stove or campfire. Lid is not necessary if put in oven.

– 7 oz salmon (can or package)
– 2 to 3 bread slices
– 1 egg
– 2 to 3 green onions
– olive oil
– salt and pepper to taste
Mix together salmon, egg, green onions and bread broken into small pieces. Cook in hot frying pan with olive oil or bake without oil on parchment baking sheets in 375 F oven until brown. Salt and pepper to taste.

– 2 to 3 bread slices
– 1 small sweet onion
– 2 cups water
– 2 beef bullion cubes
– olive oil
Cut onion into small chunks and sauté with olive oil in pan over stove or campfire. Add 1/2 cup water to small pot; add two bouillon cubes; add green onions; add 2 to 3 bread slices (torn into small pieces). Stir frequently until boiling. Add cheese, remove from heat and serve.

– stale bread
– olive oil
– seasoning that you like, such as parmesan cheese, garlic
powder, onion powder, dried oregano, dried basil, salt.
Cut bread into small cubes and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 300 F until golden brown. (Alternatively, croutons may be baked in frying pan with lid over a few campfire coals). Season to taste. Mix frequently and continue baking until golden brown. Store in plastic bag.

– 3 to 4 bread slices
– 1 to 2 baking apples (such as Granny Smith)
– 1 cup milk (cow’s milk or alternative such as almond milk)
– 3 oz raisins
– 3 oz craisins
– 4 tbs brown sugar (and or honey)
– 2 tsp cinnamon
– 1 tsp vinalla
– 1 heaping tsp corn starch
Peel/core apple(s) and cut into small chunks. Place in 2-cup pot with small amount of olive oil and heat over stove or campfire, mixing frequently until chunks become translucent. Add 1/2 cup milk, sweetener (4 tbs brown sugar and/or honey), 2 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp vinalla extract. Simmer and mix throughly and taste. Add additional sweeter or seasonsing if needed. Add 1 tsp to remaining 1/2 cup cold milk and mix into hot liquid. Continue heating until mixture thickens. Coat small loaf pan with olive oil and place alternatating layers of bread cubes, pudding mixture, raisons/craisons until pan is full. Place in 300 – 350 F oven. Bake for 45 minutes.

Make the cardboard oven shown in this video from a corrugated cardboard box. Cut cardboard into two pieces: 12 in x 28 in rectangle and 9-1/2 in diameter circle. Glue heavy-duty aluminum foil to the cardboard with contact cement or white glue. Allow the glue to thoroughly dry for several days before using the oven. Cardboard insulation provides stable temperature control, that is much better an oven with only aluminum sidewalls. Use metal skewers as a baking rack. In this demonstration, I used BioFuel as the heat source. Allternatively, a can of Stereo, or charcoal in a fire bowl could be used. Do not heat cardboard ovens above 450 F. Do not expose cardboard ovens to direct flames of a campfire.

Videography by Ken Kramm March 12, 2018; iPhone 7+, Canon Vixia HF G30; Final Cut Pro X. Filmed at Brazos Bend State Park, TX, USA.

Oh Johnny, oh Johnny, oh Jaudas‚ Society Orchestra, Creative Commons Baroque Coffee House (Sting)Doug Maxwell/ Media Rights ProductionsYouTube Audio Library, Bugle Calls Mess Call, USAF Heritage of America Band YouTube Audio Library

1. Evening buddy, makes me feel hungry just looking at it 😂. When I'm out I cook pochard egg in a mess tin. It's great. ATB

2. 3flashcan says:

I bet your wife makes you do all the cooking . LOL!

3. 34longbow says:

Ken you've made me hungry again! How can you eat such delectable delights and remain so slender. I"d be happy to be under 270 again -even if I'm 6"6"

4. bad hat says:

eggs in a cloud is what we call your EGG VOLCANO ON TOAST but what ever you call them just please don't call me late for breakfast they really are yummy

5. do you snip vines so they don't choke trees where you camp? as in invasive vines.

6. Craig Betts says:

I may not get out on a hike to try but I'm gong to try some of these recipes at home for sure, excellent video Ken

7. Ari says:

I love your new mini series, Ken! I can't wait to make milk toast! Have a good day!

8. oh man ken ,yes you out did your self,, and waking my taste buds from long ago.. its been so long sense i have had some of your recipes … no cook off with you my friend , just want you to be the camp cook ..peace ken , see ya on a trail soon ..
    ..billy joe

9. Loved a lot of those recipes! Good eats most definitely. Waste not want not!

10. "Milk toast with poached egg" Hey Ken we have a breakfast dish calles changua, it has :water, milk, toasts, coriander leafs, scallion and salt. Boil water, and salt and chopped scallion, then add eggs until cooked as you wish, then add the milk. to finish add the chopped coriander leafs and the toasts. We sometimes change the toasts with "almonjabana" and add some cheese cubes. You should try this. 🙂

11. Ryan P. says:

19:48 of your video what bird is that?

12. Bob808Knight says:

Wow just wow ken.. Im not sure if I'm gonna be able to compete against you in a bushcraft cook off… You're just too good… I have a request for you.. Can you do a video on the different campsites and setups you used? I'm noticing quite a few.. Second question.. Will your new friend be joining you on some of your future outings?

13. chenmuzeluva says:

That was fun watching you cook KK!

14. Rick Morley says:

Everything looked so good! Thank you for sharing. I think I am going to try your bread onion soup first, but with your croutons instead of the bread.

15. Oh this is great. I bake the bread in my house for me and my family and one thing about homemade bread as that it goes stale super quick compared to store bought.

16. Noonie57 says:

Can you hear my stomach rumbling from here? Never have made an egg volcano. Putting it on the menu soon. Thanks Ken!

17. Cindy Maag says:

Wow! Thank you Kenneth! I can't wait to try some of these recipes. You out did yourself!

18. Jake Drake says:

Thanks Ken Ill give it try,

19. Torrey Jones says:

I'm loving that "Backpacker's Oven" you got there!

20. gonegolding says:

Great video Ken. Got a thumbs up from me near the beginning as soon as I saw you were going to make Salmon patties. The rest of the recipes look very delicious also, & will have to try them. Cheers ~ Andrew

21. So much food. So much Fun. Will be grabbing the Grandsons for an adventure in 2 days. Boy will they be surprised by the new culinary creations. Thanks for helping us get out more!

22. Paul Mitchum says:

22:23: Sorry, ants-on-a-log is the next video….

23. Tummetott says:

Hello Ken, great recipes! I'll try some of them at the next tour 😉 Thanks for sharing. All the best

24. R Toguidver says:

Is Poaching eggs legal ? I'm kidding !